Suffolk Dog Forum
Welcome to the Suffolk Dogs forum, a forum for dog owners across East Anglia!

Log in or register to find details of meet ups and events, and enter regular competitions (with prizes), or just tell us all about your furry friends

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Suffolk Dog Forum
Welcome to the Suffolk Dogs forum, a forum for dog owners across East Anglia!

Log in or register to find details of meet ups and events, and enter regular competitions (with prizes), or just tell us all about your furry friends

Looking forward to seeing you around!
Suffolk Dog Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dog-Friendly Landlords
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 pm by suffolkgal

» Dog Photography
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 am by louisjp

» HELLO HELLO HELLO
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:37 pm by Huskymomma

» Garage Door Flaps
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 2:33 am by Sid_Wolf

» Dog sledding ???
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:20 pm by EddSharma

» Stormys not well
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 pm by EddSharma

» new to the site
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 am by Huskymomma

» Rupert Skin Update
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 11:36 pm by Florence24

» Newfieworld
How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:57 am by Sid_Wolf

How to teach a dog what a treat is for..?

+2
Sid_Wolf
Florence24
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? Empty How to teach a dog what a treat is for..?

Post by Florence24 Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 pm

I bet none of you have any ideas now but thought I would ask!

My Mum's labrador we got in November last year, he's 2 in July. He's so greedy that he sees a treat and pounces on your fingers when its near enough (he can do 'gentle' but is a little selective with it). On a walk he tends to ignore treats and not notice them, then he suddenly sees you have one and goes CHOMP on your hand Rolling Eyes

Any particular ideas to help him slow down and realise he is getting a treat as a reward and not just because? The way he is in such haste its like he thinks its his food and he must have it asap, not like he's getting it because he is doing well sort of thing.

He is at classes at the minute but they aren't as fantastic as we'd hoped though his attention span is a touch better than it was...

Rupert (my golden retriever) is gentle as anything and knows I get a treat if I'm good and isn't in such a OMG I must have it state when he sees one. But then I've had him from a pup and I'm not sure Milo really had treats before. He came with an ice cream tub which had an opened packet of Pets At Home treats in which expired over a year ago which may be a contributing factor...
Florence24
Florence24

Breeds owned : Golden Retriever x 1

Back to top Go down

How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? Empty Re: How to teach a dog what a treat is for..?

Post by Sid_Wolf Mon May 23, 2011 11:27 pm

Have you tried NILIF?

I wouldnt let him have ANYTHING without having to do somethin for it, make him sit or do a trick before he gets treats, his dinner, his lead clipped on, the door opened, a toy etc etc.

He'll soon realise that these things arent his for the taking and that he has to work for them.

If you're already doing this then I have no idea! lol!
Sid_Wolf
Sid_Wolf
Admin

Breeds owned : Siberian Huskies

https://suffolkdogsforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How to teach a dog what a treat is for..? Empty Re: How to teach a dog what a treat is for..?

Post by Florence24 Mon May 23, 2011 11:50 pm

We do use NILIF funnily enough!! He doesn't seem to correlate doing something for getting the treat though and its like he is just totally out of focus and obsessed when food is about. I could call the golden off his dinner and put treats back in my pocket and he'd accept it but the lab would bug me and not leave my side sort of thing.

He is so damned greedy, but it makes training hard because he doesn't seem to realise he gets a treat for it so has little motivation to want to do things Rolling Eyes
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid_Wolf Mon May 23, 2011 11:57 pm

What about clicker training? So he associates treats with the clicker and vice versa?
Sid_Wolf
Sid_Wolf
Admin

Breeds owned : Siberian Huskies

https://suffolkdogsforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Huskymomma Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Have you tried telling him to be gentle and if he is not or goes to snatch it then whip it away quickly.

other than that the NILF is good too. Storm never gets anything without having to wait or work for it. affraid
Huskymomma
Huskymomma

Breeds owned : HuskyxGsd, Husky

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Wed May 25, 2011 2:39 am

Yeah he can do gentle but if you don't ask he wont be gentle, he never gets given it when he snatches but it just isn't going in..!

Mum could try clicker training but not convinced she will follow it through, I did buy a clicker when she got him but its never been used..! Not really up my street Rupert never got on with it but it might work for him Smile
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Mon May 30, 2011 8:44 am

when giving him a treat make sure its out of his reach, so cant just take it, be stubborn, dnt give in until he does the command you're after. Also make sure no one else in the house hold is giving the dogs treats for the sake of it
James_Kita
James_Kita

Breeds owned : Husky X

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 am

James_Kita wrote:when giving him a treat make sure its out of his reach, so cant just take it, be stubborn, dnt give in until he does the command you're after. Also make sure no one else in the house hold is giving the dogs treats for the sake of it

This is what my approach has been, he works for everything he gets and never gets it until he is gentle, but he's just not learning in this respect. I'm wondering if its a bit of instinct and being fed not very regularly (we got him last November as a 16 month old from a couple who had taught him nothing, he lived outside and if he saw water or food BOOM that was it, gone in 2 seconds flat. He is still quite bad with water too, will drink 2 x 3litre water bowls if you don't distract him..!

Nicked a strawberry out my hand this weekend and snatched Rupert's carrot out my hand today. He gives it back he just does it instantly and then is like uh ohhhhhh he knows he isn't supposed to do it after he has done it but his brain just isn't engaging at the minute..!

Maybe with a bit more maturity, I can hope! He definitely isn't possessive or a guarder at least Smile
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Does he get severly told off if he snatches food?

Also I think its a lab thing, our neighbours gold lab is horribly obese, they've got him on a diet, but any food left in reach its gone in 5 seconds or maybe less O_o
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:13 pm

James_Kita wrote:Does he get severly told off if he snatches food?

Also I think its a lab thing, our neighbours gold lab is horribly obese, they've got him on a diet, but any food left in reach its gone in 5 seconds or maybe less O_o

No, he gets a verbal correction but I don't know how you can really positively reinforce that he did wrong in that instance, it needs taking back. If he pinches something I just go 'Milo no!' and put my had out for him to drop it which he usually does. Its just that split second that he snatches in Rolling Eyes

Our labrador is very skinny I must say, he's under 28kgs he's the black lab in my signature. Its not that he is starving because I can tell when he is genuinely hungry and we had a weight battle with him early January where he was eating three times what Rupert was on and was still losing weight Rolling Eyes 28kgs is quite a nice and stable weight for him really, I don't think he'll ever get to above that.

My golden retriever has never been snatchy with food, he learnt the gentle command and has been perfect ever since sort of thing, the labrador does seem a bit hard headed in that he doesn't really quite understand what you want from him. He had no training when we got him at 16 months and I wonder if the late start makes it that bit harder for him to really 'get' things?

Maybe its just something we'll have to accept with him..!
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Try a firm touch to really tell him he is doing something bad.

Some people are against this, I don't really think it does any harm, Unless you are really hitting your dog as hard as you can >_<
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:46 am

What do you mean by a firm touch, where sort of thing? Smile

He's a bit of a sensitive bugger, you tell Rupert to get out and Milo skuttles out tail between his legs thinking you mean him Rolling Eyes

Rupert isn't really a first dog type of dog I don't have to be heavy with him just as many steps ahead as I can be and he does need a firmer type of training where he's not allowed more than an inch. Milo is a first dog kind of boy do whatever you say if I understand it but I probably don't sort of thing! He's at obedience classes to try help him and his balance has improved but he just isn't getting so many things...I think as Rupert is such an intelligent dog I find it hard to realise that Milo finds things hard which Rupert finds very basic...

Sorry I'm rambling, I find Milo quite a difficult dog to train really he's upskittled by everything and its hard to be particularly patient with him being so tizzy! Ah well Razz He's my Mum's dog but she doesn't really know much about training and is learning a little here and there hence why a lot of it is down to me.

Thanks for your replies Smile
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:58 am

Florence24 wrote:What do you mean by a firm touch, where sort of thing? Smile

He's a bit of a sensitive bugger, you tell Rupert to get out and Milo skuttles out tail between his legs thinking you mean him Rolling Eyes

Rupert isn't really a first dog type of dog I don't have to be heavy with him just as many steps ahead as I can be and he does need a firmer type of training where he's not allowed more than an inch. Milo is a first dog kind of boy do whatever you say if I understand it but I probably don't sort of thing! He's at obedience classes to try help him and his balance has improved but he just isn't getting so many things...I think as Rupert is such an intelligent dog I find it hard to realise that Milo finds things hard which Rupert finds very basic...

Sorry I'm rambling, I find Milo quite a difficult dog to train really he's upskittled by everything and its hard to be particularly patient with him being so tizzy! Ah well Razz He's my Mum's dog but she doesn't really know much about training and is learning a little here and there hence why a lot of it is down to me.

Thanks for your replies Smile

literally just a poke to the neck followed by a stern no! and a look, As you said he's abit sensative so I'm sure he will get the idea.
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Javiel Ashley Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:00 pm

All dogs WILL learn eventually... just takes time and effort. Just no giving in cause once he knows he can win you round.... well your stuffed lol!

It took me near on 2 weeks of constant training to teach sakari PAW (doesnt help shes stubborn and fussy with treats)... even now, it theres a distraction e.g, another dog... she doesnt even notice im speaking. James can vouch for that lol. Dam kita being a distraction in class Laughing

Persist and you will be rewarded. If not then............................
Javiel Ashley
Javiel Ashley

Breeds owned : Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute

Back to top Go down

Post by Tikaani&Aiyana Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I found this online, it may be worth a try? Smile

You'll need to work with your dog everyday until he or she "gets it". Don't give your dog a treat any other way than what is stated below, except for food you put in his or her dish. Consistency and repetition are important in training.

Instead of handing the treat to your dog, make a fist around the treat.

Still holding the treat in your fist, palm down, allow your dog to sniff the back of your hand for a minute or two.

Roll your hand over and open your palm, allowing the dog to take the treat from your open palm.

Tikaani&Aiyana
Tikaani&Aiyana

Breeds owned : 2 Siberian Huskies

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:37 pm

Ooh thanks for that Tikaani&Aiyana looks good!

He does get consistency that's for sure, its just the brain coming into play he seems to be lacking! Golden was like that when younger but grew up and matured learning as he went, Milo is just taking rather a long time and goes back quite a few steps for no apparent reason at times! Smile
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:02 am

I can vouch for that Javiel Razz

Kita can be the same Wink she will listen if the reward is a treat and will if theres no distrations, if there are I can only get her to listen with treats! Razz

But yeah let us know how it goes it over the next couple weeks Smile
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:05 am

I have to say I don't expect to have a huge amount to report in the next couple of weeks! Can hope though Razz
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:11 am

Florence24 wrote:I have to say I don't expect to have a huge amount to report in the next couple of weeks! Can hope though Razz

haha Keep at it Flo! it'll get there! Razz
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:23 am

Really wouldn't bank on it lmao! It doesn't really matter, it was a topic to get people nattering anyway Smile
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:10 am

Haha Razz
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Haha you don't half write some random posts sometimes Rolling Eyes
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Random? no I don't

did you know that Hyenas are not part of the Canine Species, they are actually more closely related to Meerkats and Mongooses! Smile
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:03 pm

I have to say I would have never thought hyenas were related to canines, but in the same breath I would have had no idea what they are related too Embarassed

That wasn't random, that was still vaguely dog related I supposeeeeeee Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Jambalaya!
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next