Suffolk Dog Forum
Welcome to the Suffolk Dogs forum, a forum for dog owners across East Anglia!

Log in or register to find details of meet ups and events, and enter regular competitions (with prizes), or just tell us all about your furry friends

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Suffolk Dog Forum
Welcome to the Suffolk Dogs forum, a forum for dog owners across East Anglia!

Log in or register to find details of meet ups and events, and enter regular competitions (with prizes), or just tell us all about your furry friends

Looking forward to seeing you around!
Suffolk Dog Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dog-Friendly Landlords
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 pm by suffolkgal

» Dog Photography
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 am by louisjp

» HELLO HELLO HELLO
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:37 pm by Huskymomma

» Garage Door Flaps
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 2:33 am by Sid_Wolf

» Dog sledding ???
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:20 pm by EddSharma

» Stormys not well
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 pm by EddSharma

» new to the site
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 am by Huskymomma

» Rupert Skin Update
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 11:36 pm by Florence24

» Newfieworld
things not to feed your dog I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:57 am by Sid_Wolf

things not to feed your dog

+4
James_Kita
Sid_Wolf
Huskymomma
suki
8 posters

Go down

things not to feed your dog Empty things not to feed your dog

Post by suki Thu May 26, 2011 8:00 pm

i know some of you are from other forums where they have a list but i thought it would be a good idea to do 1 on here as well just incase. we could all add a few thing each. So heres mine.

grapes
chocolate

suki

Breeds owned : husky x staff

Back to top Go down

things not to feed your dog Empty Re: things not to feed your dog

Post by Huskymomma Thu May 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Raisins
sweets (especially ones with e numbers unless you want a hypo dog!!!)
Garlic
Onions
Huskymomma
Huskymomma

Breeds owned : HuskyxGsd, Husky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid_Wolf Thu May 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Bakers, pedigree etc etc rofl
Sid_Wolf
Sid_Wolf
Admin

Breeds owned : Siberian Huskies

https://suffolkdogsforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Tue May 31, 2011 11:23 am

Sid_Wolf wrote:Bakers, pedigree etc etc rofl

Kita prefers Bakers over the expensive better quality food we have for her currently Suspect

probably all the addictives and shit.

I think i'll try her on a raw diet soon ^_^
James_Kita
James_Kita

Breeds owned : Husky X

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Tue May 31, 2011 11:24 am

cooked Bones ca be quite bad, due to them splintering.
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Huskymomma Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 pm

Sid_Wolf wrote:Bakers, pedigree etc etc rofl

Royal Canin too. whistle Storm was hypo on that.

UNfourtunately my mum refuses to listen to me on the bakers subject, her dog bear is hypo like you wouldnt bellieve and she insists its because of his breed but I know its because its the food.
Huskymomma
Huskymomma

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 am

haha, yeah its like kids on suger sweets! Razz

Maybe Kita is like me, isn't fussed by fine dining, Is rather happy chowing down on junk food! Razz
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Javiel Ashley Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 am

Sakari gets the shits when she gets hold of any pedigree. keesha is adicted to it.

Onions,
Grapes,
Chocolate - Especially dark choc
Chewing gum,
Too much salty foods ( for those people who feed your dogs some crisps when there scrabing) Laughing
Bakers
Cooked bones
Gravy - Some contains onions
Nuts
Javiel Ashley
Javiel Ashley

Breeds owned : Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 am

Good thread! I have nothing to add but its a really good idea.

I think the green parts of a tomato or unripe tomatoes can be bad for dogs?
Florence24
Florence24

Breeds owned : Golden Retriever x 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Have made this a sticky quite handy for anyone in a someone OMG! moment Smile
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by Huskymomma Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Info pinched from another forum Embarassed

GRAPES
RAISINS
ONIONS
GARLIC
CHOCOLATE
CITRUS PEEL
PIPS/SEEDS ON FRUITS
YEAST
DOUGH
MACADAMIA NUTS
AVOCADO

SNAILS
SLUGS

BELOW IS A LIST THAT YOU SHOULD GENERALLY NOT GIVE DOGS....

NOT SPECIFIC TO HUSKIES......

Alcoholic beverages
Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food
Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources
Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

Cat food
Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine
Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts
Can cause vomiting.Fat trimmingsCan cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins
Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.

Hops(found in real ale beer)
Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron
Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver
Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nutsContain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana
Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products
Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage
Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms
Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder)Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons
Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums
Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems
Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs
Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

****MOST HUSKIES HAVE RAW EGGS AND ARE FINE, IT IS EVEN RECOMMENDED FOR SOME RAW DIETS TO HELP WITH COAT ETC PLEASE SEE NOTE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE****

Raw fish

Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt
If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

String
Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods
Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts)
Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet.

Fat
should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco
Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough
Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

Xylitol

(artificial sweetener)Can cause liver failure. Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. Xylitol can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog's body. That can cause your dog's blood sugar to drop and lead to liver failure. Initial symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. Eventually, the dog may have seizures, and liver failure can occur within just a few days.

****MOST PEOPLE DO FEED THEIR HUSKIES SOME OF THESE ITEMS SUCH AS MILK, SMALL AMOUNTS OF LIVER,FAT, POTATO (FOUND IN KIBBLE) AND EGGS AND THEY ARE FINE......... AS I SAY IT IS A GENERIC LIST

****FISH (AS LONG AS IN SUNFLOWER OIL AND NOT BRINE) SUCH AS SARDINES, MACAREL, TROUT ETC HUSKIES SEEM TO LOVE!!!!

****PLEASE NOTE BONES ARE OBVIOUSLY FED TO DOGS-THEY ARE ONLY DANGEROUS IF COOKED-AS COOKED BONES CAN SPLINTER AND GET STUCK IN THE DOGS THROAT.

-BONES AND FISH
As to bones and raw depends on it origins but as most food that is raw is bought from local supermarkets and butchers they have to by law to meet regulations for human consumption so if all bought lagit an not straight from farms an slaughter houses etc as left overs for example you should be fine for example pork is not really good raw but if bought at human grade its frozen for set amount of time to kill off that specific bacteria.

Another example salmon though dogs would love it an spoilt if they get it lol if you were to catch one direct from river you can potentialy kill ur dog because the bacteria has not been treated where if you bought it from a store it has to be treated for human consumption killing the bacteria that would cause such effects but if you caught it fresh and cooked it then it would also be fine as it would kill bacteria

-EGGS
In recent years, this has definitely become a question that all dog owners ask. Since raw food diets for dogs have become more and more popular, more dog owners are looking to see what kind of raw foods they can give their dogs in order to keep them healthy from the inside out. However, raw feeding is definitely a decision that an owner must make. Even today veterinarians are split on whether or not giving a dog raw food, like a raw egg is healthy, or if in the end it can cause some sort of ailment that may ultimately hurt the dog.

If you decide that raw feeding may be a good option for your dog, it does take a lot of research and time in order to ensure that you are feeding your dog healthy food that won’t hurt his digestive tract. Of course a raw diet for dogs consists of raw meat, fruits, and vegetables, but owners can also feed their dog nuts, dairy products, and even raw eggs. Raw eggs are always on the chopping block so to speak, but many owners that do feed their dog raw eggs report that it does wonders. Since egg products are in most dog foods, owners don’t see why giving their dog a raw egg is a problem.

Owners who give their dog a raw egg once a week say that the egg is extremely helpful when it comes to shaping a dog’s coat and fur. Eggs are a great source of protein and the protein helps to protect the coat and keep it shiny. When you feed your dog a raw egg, even the shell is okay if the dog wants to eat it.

Many people worry about salmonella due to the fact that the egg is raw. But, dogs have great immune systems, and their body doesn’t react the same way a human’s body does when it is introduced to salmonella. If you are extremely concerned, you can always cook the egg by frying it, blanching it, or boiling it.

Dog owners who do feed their dog raw eggs point out that it’s important that the dog is given no more than one raw egg a week. Too many raw eggs can upset a dog’s stomach, as well as affect the dog’s white blood cell count. Too many raw eggs can also cause your dog other ailments as the yolk is extremely fatty and contains a lot of cholesterol. This can be a problem, so be sure not to feed more than one raw egg a week.

Huskymomma
Huskymomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Tikaani&Aiyana Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Think thats got it covered then lol!
Tikaani&Aiyana
Tikaani&Aiyana

Breeds owned : 2 Siberian Huskies

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan J P Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Fab list

love the bit about mouldy or spoilt food/garbage Laughing

''oh its mouldy....i'll just give it to the dog!'' lol!

mind you Tia and Shadow would eat it anyway pig
Tan J P
Tan J P

Breeds owned : huskies

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Haha nice one, naughty HM! Razz
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by Huskymomma Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:33 am

Tan J P wrote:Fab list

love the bit about mouldy or spoilt food/garbage Laughing

''oh its mouldy....i'll just give it to the dog!'' lol!

mind you Tia and Shadow would eat it anyway pig

I wouldnt dream of giving Storm anything that wasn't ok for me to eat. Other than the doggy stuff obviously. Shocked
Huskymomma
Huskymomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid_Wolf Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:29 am

Why not? I do, if we have some out of date meat thats smelling a bit odd, im not gunna eat it, but the dogs will and its not gunna hurt them, i mean look at some of the crap they find and eat lol
Sid_Wolf
Sid_Wolf
Admin

Breeds owned : Siberian Huskies

https://suffolkdogsforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:04 am

Rupert doesn't really have an iron stomach, I wouldn't give him anything at all slightly off, but then he doesn't scavenge stuff outside really either? Probably knows his belly doesn't like it after all the times its had a hissy fit at him Rolling Eyes Smile
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Kita Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:15 am

Sid_Wolf wrote:Why not? I do, if we have some out of date meat thats smelling a bit odd, im not gunna eat it, but the dogs will and its not gunna hurt them, i mean look at some of the crap they find and eat lol

I'm with Sid on this.

I mean Dogs can eat raw meat and they love it, its what is most natural to them, we can't eat that but they can.

Dogs immune systems are much better at dealing with stuff like salmonella (cant spell).

In the wild wolves / dogs / most carnivores will occasionally scavenge when the oppurtunity presents itself. and the meat can be there for a long time and could have started to decompose and they'll gobble it right up Razz
James_Kita
James_Kita

Back to top Go down

Post by Huskymomma Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:32 am

James_Kita wrote:
Sid_Wolf wrote:Why not? I do, if we have some out of date meat thats smelling a bit odd, im not gunna eat it, but the dogs will and its not gunna hurt them, i mean look at some of the crap they find and eat lol

I'm with Sid on this.

I mean Dogs can eat raw meat and they love it, its what is most natural to them, we can't eat that but they can.

Dogs immune systems are much better at dealing with stuff like salmonella (cant spell).

In the wild wolves / dogs / most carnivores will occasionally scavenge when the oppurtunity presents itself. and the meat can be there for a long time and could have started to decompose and they'll gobble it right up Razz

The only time Storm has had raw meat he has been really ill with the runs for weeks. He has a really sensitive stomach and the slightest abnormal thing he eats which he doesnt normally eat results in him being ill. No
Huskymomma
Huskymomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence24 Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:39 am

James_Kita wrote:
I'm with Sid on this.

Its just about reducing risks. There is a greater risk if you feed gone off stuff compared with not gone off stuff, will affect every dog differently etc Smile

Rupert has problems with quite a lot of things as well as undiagnosed intolerances/allergies. Vet thinks all his colicky episodes are an issue with a certain item but we can't figure out what, so I have to be really careful what I give him. Since Weds he has had no treats but lumps of carrot and I'm worried of ODing him on Vitamin A so today made some tuna cake and am letting him have bits of that, which is very naughty as vet said I shouldn't but he has no treats otherwise and I can't do any training etc.
Florence24
Florence24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down